Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Look Me in the Eye


As part of "Christina Time" in Missouri, I've decided to invigorate my mind more by reading the classics -- really, I've decided to go back and read many the books I was supposed to have read in high school but never did. I really want to learn to enjoy reading. Since I've moved to Minnesota a couple years ago I started to read more, mostly mindless books that I could read while on the elliptical to help pass the time. I'm starting a list of all the books I should read, the list is getting quite long. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

I finished reading the book Look Me in the Eye - by John Elder Robison - a couple days ago. I find Autism fascinating and had heard a lot about this book, so I decided to give it a go. It is a compilation of the author's life memories through the eyes of a grown man with Aspergers. It is pretty interesting because he went undiagnosed until his 40s and he always just thought he was different and weird. The adults in his life just thought he was deviant and weird too. It talks alot about how the understanding of what Aspergers and Autism are has helped him redefine his childhood memories and better understand the complex family/behavioral difficulties of his early life.

I thought the writing style was very interesting. It didn't follow a plot or timeline. The stories seemed to be connected by their relation to one another (not in chronological order). If one story reminded the author of a different memory 15 years later, that's the next thing he wrote about. It was easy to see how the thinking patterns of the author (a man with Aspergers) are very different from my own.

Overall, I thought it was a good book - very interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Christina, it's Jessica, your favorite former roommate from DC, ha. :) I was inspired to look at your Facebook account and saw this link! Now I get to know all your secrets!! :)

    This book looks very interesting to me, since my brother supposedly has Aspergers. I'll have to read it; thanks for the suggestion.

    You know, after I started my blog, about a month later I met my husband. Just saying.

    Let me know if you need help with wedding plans. :)

    ReplyDelete