
Can I just mention that I am really starting to enjoy reading? I don't think I have enjoyed reading this much since I was little and my mom read the Chronicles of Narnia to us kids on the water bed every night (those were the days!). Its so relaxing to come home after a long day of work and cuddle up in my blankets on my bed and read for a while before I even think about doing anything else. My latest accomplishment was reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I have watched this movie several times and know the story very well -- so I was most interested in discovering the differences between the movie and the book. More specifically, it always bugged me in the movie that Marianne ends up marrying Colonel Brandon after the Willoughby charade, without showing the viewer how they got together -- we didn't get to see any of the wooing or see how Marianne's passion was transferred to Colonel Brandon. I'm sad to report that the book doesn't really go into that either. That was a let down... Basically it just says that because of Colonel Brandon's unshakable character, Marianne was able to change her idea of what love and romance and passion was -- and give herself as much to the Colonel as she once had given her heart to Willoughby. Really, this girl lucked out -- she gained the sense and sensibility that the book is titled after -- she grew up and realized there was more to being happy and in love than immature passions. Colonel Brandon, although older and bit drier, is a real catch! But could we at least get to see this tranformation a little?
Another relationship I find amusing in this book is the relationship of Mr. and Mrs. Palmer (its a smaller, lesss prominant one). It is a terrible relationship and the poor woman just thinks her husband is teasing her -- sorry lady, he actually thinks you're ridiculous! How could you get married to someone who doesn't even like you and thinks you are absolutely ridiculous? Money! That's how -- the politics of relationships is very interesting and very sad in Jane Austen's novels. Boy, am I glad I wasn't alive at that time... I wouldn't have made it!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of Jane Austen's novels.
The new BBC version of S & S shows their relationship a little more. I found it more satisfying. The best book to read is P & P!
ReplyDelete