
I read this book back in Mr. Osinski's 9th grade English class. I remember it being one of the only books I had to read in high school that I actually enjoyed, so I decided to give it a go again. It was a quick read for me -- I read the whole thing in a little over a week. This has got to be one of my favorite books! The first half of the book, about the kids' summer and life, reminds me a lot of my childhood summers when Deebs and I would run wild with our neighborhood friends exploring the woods and making up fun stories about our neighbors and freaky things going on in Streamwood. The second half is very heartfelt and inspirational. I love the family dynamics between Scout and Jem and between Atticus and his kids. Atticus is such a good character and really illustrates what it is to be a moral leader in a community, a superb father, and a good man in general. This story does a great job integrating dynamic relationships with issues of race, prejudice, and coming of age. (I'd get into the imagery of the mockingbird and which characters in the book were the mockingbirds and why-- but I'm pretty sure I have an essay from 9th grade about that somewhere that I don't want to rewrite!)
Definitely a book to have in your library!
No comments:
Post a Comment