Today I was observing a student during recess, so I got to spend part of my afternoon outside on the playground... All I can say is that recess is A LOT different these days then it was when I was a kid. Maybe I just had an extraordinary recess because of my privileged central New York upbringing -- but I don't think that's it. I remember grass to run around on. Soccer fields to play World Cup on during the spring and football in the fall! I remember getting grass stains on the knees of my pants on a regular basis or tears in my jeans from playing an intense game of football or 4-square. I remember playing keep away all decked out in my snowsuit in feet of snow! And if it rained, I remember playing knee hockey, indoor soccer, or pogs in my older years... and boys chasing the girls trying to pull their braids in my younger years, or climbing on top of the monkey bars and dangling from my legs. Kids these days don't have grass to run around on... they play on small, sub-par jungle gyms, play 4-square (I was a champ in my day), and tetherball -- all on asphalt! They get yelled at for going on top of the monkey bars and playing dodge ball! Really? Where is the fun? Where is the excitement? Where is that amazing feeling when you make the first touchdown of the football season in the 6th grade (another one of my bragging points!)
I'm just saying.... things have changed -- and I don't like it at all!
Wow, im gonna to say exactly the same case in our country...everything changed, really miss the old days----soooooooo much fun!!!!!!
ReplyDelete