Saturday, November 20, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows -- Part 1


DISCLAIMER: I have not read any of the Harry Potter books. That being said, my analysis of the 7th installment of the Harry Potter series is strictly based on the quality of the movie, and is in no way representative of the quality or accuracy of the portrayal of the actual book's events in the movie.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It is fun to see the characters grow and mature. I liked this movie because it focused on the main characters and their relationships with one another. The strengths and weaknesses of the main characters (Harry, Hermione, and Ron) are made very apparent as they traveled together in their journey to destroy the Horcrux. Harry's susceptibility to being possessed by the necklace was giving me flashbacks of Frodo in Lord of the Rings. Thank heavens for the ever loyal best friend, Sam Wise, who is actually the reason the ring was able to be destroyed. I think Hermione was the "Sam Wise" of this movie. Her ability to be logical under stress and take care of her friend is probably the reason Harry is still alive. Needless to say, Hermione is my favorite character. As far as acting goes, I think the actress who plays her has the most acting talent out of the Harry Potter kids and will go the farthest. I also think Hermione is the most stable, spunky, and intelligent of the main characters. As for Ron, he's kind of a whiner. I'm just glad he's finally realizing he is in love with Hermione. I knew at the end of the second movie (when there was that awkward non-hug between them) that they would eventually get together -- talk about serious foreshadowing. When Ron was talking about Hermione being the light and guiding him back (or whatever the speech was) I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said, "He was waiting for the lightning bolt. He got it and now he knows!" I don't think he had a clue what I was talking about, oh well. Ron's lack of self-confidence, which was seen to some extent in the previous movies, was clearly apparent throughout this film. It was really starting to annoy me. Have some confidence buddy and go get what you want!

The best part of the movie, in my opinion, was the scene when Dobby died. The little guy saved the day! His farewell to Harry as he held him in his arms was very touching. I also thought the cello music in the background really made the whole scene, it was beautiful.

A few criticisms --
1. They tried to sex up this movie. Ginny could have easily zipped herself up half-way up the back, had she not been trying to seduce Harry -- which is a step saucier than tieing Harry's shoe and putting her face all up in his like she did in the last film. I also think it was unnecessary for the Horcrux ghost thing to take the form of Harry and Hermione making out with a lack of clothing. They could have been wearing clothes. Then again maybe if they were fully clothed, Ron wouldn't have gotten so ticked and he wouldn't have destroyed it. All in all, I think the sexual things they added were not necessary. This book and movie series is geared toward children - there is no need to sex up the films. I like romance just as much as the next girl, but it needs to be done tastefully.

2. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... the guy who plays Harry isn't the best actor. In fact, I think he is pretty poor. I feel like Ron's acting gets better and better every movie, but Harry's is improving at a much slower rate.

3. Draco Malfoy --> you look like a blond Hitler minus the ugly moustache. You know you aren't really cut out for the Death Eater life. Admit it, you're just too scared of Voldemort to join the cause against him. You really couldn't have killed Dumbledore and you weren't going to turn Harry in. You are actually starting to feel sorry for the stuff that has happened to him and his friends... Come to the light Draco, you know you want to!

4. Snape! Please tell me that you redeem yourself in the end... please!

All-in-all, it was a good movie. I was pleased. My only real sadness is that I could not enjoy the midnight opening night premiere all decked out in costume with my buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment