Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Healing Christina

When I was about 7 my family went on a camping trip through Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine with another family in our ward. In Maine we went to the huge L.L. Bean outlet. When there, our two families split up and went through the store (the boys with the dads and girls with the moms). We were each allowed to pick out one item from the store. There was this amazing turquoise blue sweatshirt that had a cool yellow, blue, and red wave design on it that I really really wanted. I begged my mom to buy it for me, but she said it was too expensive and that my dad would get upset if she spent that much money on a sweatshirt. I was so sad that I couldn't have that sweatshirt. Lo-and-behold, when we met back up with the guys, guess who was wearing the exact sweatshirt that I had begged and pleaded for: None other than my little brother, Daniel! I was devastated! I wanted that sweatshirt so badly and who gets it? My brother! And to make things worse, he didn't even care about the sweat shirt, my dad had picked it out for him! In an attempt to make me feel better my mom bought me some $5 lighthouse necklace (which would have been nice if I weren't a total tom-boy at the time and actually liked jewelry). Needless to say, its still a sensitive subject.

This story has played a major role in several family events. I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of a brat and brought up the fact that Daniel got the sweatshirt I wanted whenever my parents told me that I was so privileged and got whatever I wanted growing up. A couple of years ago my sister even wrapped her L.L. Bean sweatshirt she had gotten on the trip (now about 14 years old) and gave it to me for Christmas in an attempt to be funny -- everyone was amused except for me.

A few weeks ago my dad posted this lovely video (and has since removed it) to my facebook page. Anyone who knows the Duke or my sweatshirt sob story can appreciate this entertaining video. I'm just surprised that he kept a straight face until the last 5 seconds. And I particularly like the DUKE shirt he is wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment